To assist in treatment and diagnosis of headache, the AMERICAN HEADACHE ASSOCIATION has issued a list of 5 items to consider in the evaluation and treatment of headaches:
These 5 recommendations are:
1. Patients with typical migraine symptoms do not need to have pictures taken of their brain (CAT SCAN OR MRI)
2. If you are going to scan a persons brain for headaches, MRI is the way to go.
3. Surgery for trigger points in the neck that might cause headache, should not be done (unless they are part of a study being done.)
4. Fioricet or Narcotics are to be avoided if at all possible, as their long -term benefits are meager and there is a downside for them.
5. Using over the counter headache medications (Advil/Aleve/Tylenol/Aspirin) are best used only 1-2 days per week. Using them more often can lead to the development of ‘rebound’ headaches.
Read more here…CHOOSING WISELY